Friday, November 5, 2010

3 Years Ago Today

       Many people that read this blog know that I once lived in the Northern Town of Kimmirut, Nunavut, while working for the Northwest Company there. While living there I met some great people and had a lot of fun as well. However 3 years ago today was not one of those days.
      About a week after I moved there in Aug/07 I was at work and this young guy comes in looking to be about my age. I noticed he looked as if he was from Southern Canada like myself so thought he must be a teacher here to teach this year. I remember talking to him and being surprised that he was a cop. I remember thinking he looks to young to be a cop
   Well from that day on when I saw him coming into the store we would talk or when we would pass each other on the street which was often we would stop and shoot the breeze. It turns out that we both liked to play cards as well so every week we would gather with some of the teachers in town to play poker on Friday nights. This was an event we did every week as much for social time then playing cards. We would eat and laugh while enjoying each others company.
   During this time I had discussed with Doug the fact that i was interested in becoming a police officer as well. He was a great help in this area. He gave me his preparation book to help me know what was coming next in the process. We also decided to that it would be a good idea if I was in shape in order to take the physical exam as well so we began jogging around the town and doing sprints and other stuff. Now for Doug this was easy but it was killing me lol. I'm sure part of the fun for him was watching me trying to keep up. Usally after this we would go to his house and cool down and talk about whatever normal guys talk about. Sports, girls, work etc
     The Afternoon of the 5th of November 2007 I had stopped in at the police station to get some paperwork that he had for me. We chatted for half hour or so then I had to get back to work So I said I would see him later. Little did I know it would be the last time I saw him.
    The next morning I was kind of lying in bed slowly getting up for work when my phone rang and it was my boss on the phone. Now it wasn't all that unusual for her to call some mornings and advise she was going to be couple mins late as she would take her daughter to daycare of whatever. So I wasn't alarmed by the phone call. The First thing she asked me was had I heard about last night, I replied "no what happened? " She then proceeded to say words I never expected "Doug's Dead" I said "my dogs dead? what" She spoke again and said Dougs Dead. I then went "huh what are you talking about what do you mean?" She proceeded to tell me about the event of the previous night when Doug was shot and killed my a drunk driver.  I remember being in shock as I called home distraught and sad. I remember the next day trying to work and having to leave as I couldn't think straight. I remember being asked by the health station nurse to walk his dog that same night and while doing that just crying while walking down the street.
      I remember finally asking for some medication to help me sleep and then going to the school and watching the funeral on tv. I think about my friend often and the sacrifice that was made to keep others safe,. I missed him greatly and still do. I promised myself that I would never forget and so each year on this date I take the time to remember the fine young man that I got to know and was privileged enough to call a friend.

 Thanks for taking the time to read this Its not something I like to think of often but I believe its important to remember our friends and  those who have been lost

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for following me, I am really sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. saying a prayer this evening for Doug and his family, and for you as well. take care~

    ReplyDelete