Tuesday, November 9, 2010

To stay Or Cut Bait and Run

   I have been reading with much interest the news recently that Prime Minister Harper has been thinking about the idea of leaving some troops in Afghanistan past the 2011 deadline that was made to pull the troops out and bring them home. Now for those of you who do not know I am a proud supporter of the Canadian Military. I respect them and honour them for the work they do in keeping us free and for the sacrifices they and their families make.\
   My personal opinion before this news became public was that I didn't think we should leave their until the work is done. I thought if we leave early it is just giving control back to the Taliban. I know the media likes to report about the lack of progress over there and how the effort isn't making a difference but I tend to take the reports with a grain of salt. After talking with MANY people who have been there and seen the truth on the ground you can tell that the mainstream media in this country will not report on the positive progress being made such as the schools built for children and the freedom for the women and children.
  If people would take the time to talk to the men and women over there then would be able to have a better understanding of what is really going on and the difference we as Canadians are making over there. I think this is the real reason we need to be there. So that the Afghan civilians will never again have to live under the threat and repression of the extremist Taliban Regime.
   One of the things that really bothers me is when people form uneducated opinions without taking the time to research come to a reasonable conclusion. Our troops are doing the work of heroes and deserve be commended for the job they do. The mission needs to be completed. If we cut and run now I believe Nations will never again be sure that we will be there for them again in their hour of need. We Need to stay until the job is done until the Afghans can protect themselves and take care of their security.
   This same reasoning allowed the Americans to finally leave Iraq after a number of years and countless deaths. They stayed until the Iraqis can defend and look after their own country.
  Anyways that is my opinion based on reading and numerous discussions I have had with people who have gone to Afghanistan worked on the ground and saw the real difference we are making in the lives of ordinary Afghan civilians.

No comments:

Post a Comment