Monday, October 11, 2010

Thanksgiving weekend

 Well another weekend has come and gone and now I'm back to work lol. Oh Well

   Saturday I played some poker and then went to my aunt and uncles for supper with my grandparents and cousin who was there. He is 5 and was telling me all about football and his different games lol. It was a fun time and of course great food.
    Sunday I went to church then over to my aunts and uncles again and enjoyed a great dinner of Turkey, ham potatoes, stuffing,cauliflower and cheese caserole, For Desert my uncle made this cranberry apple crisp. It was super.
 While I was there the discussion of bilingulism came up and how it is hard for English only people to get good jobs in New Brunswick.  I find this to be very reverse discriminational. I am of the belief that the best person to do a job should get the job. I dont think being required to speak something other then English should be required to be considered for a government job.
  I have nothing against people that speak French as I have many french speaking friends however I find this simple policy of having to speak both languages in itself causes people to think wrongly about the French speaking people. I believe everyone should have the same chances at any job no matter what language someone speaks or what color or nationality someone is.
 I realize some people might not agree with this thought and will say that we are a bilingual province but can someone remember this policy that is in place is in itself forcing young New Brunswickers who may not be able to speak French to seek employment elsewhere in Canada which is hurting our provinces demographics and effecting our ability to become a self-sufficent province less depenandant on Federal Transfer payments. If we want New Brunswickers to stay in New Brunswick when they graduate from university with a big debtload we need them to be able to get good jobs and stop making it so they arent even considered based on their ability but instead being eliminated due to the fact that they can not speak a certain language.

I appreciate all comments and feedback from people regarding this topic.

1 comment:

  1. i have some pretty strong opinions on the bilingualism board. have you ever noticed that a french speaking person who can barely speak english is "blinigual", yet an english speaking person who can barely squeak out a frensh sentence is shunned? i agree with you about the whole reverse discrimination theory. i have a friend sho is fluently bilingual. to me that means that you can speak english with out a french accent, and french without an english accent. if she were to move here, she would get a job asap, no question. however, nurses in NB are paid so low, she would never even consider it. just my two cents, oh, and make today GREAT~

    ReplyDelete